Please go to our new website for textbook orders, https://westmont.slingshotedu.com/#/landing
Log in with your Westmont user name and password.
All Westmont Bookstore textbook orders will be available for pick-up at the Campus Mail Center. Please review the Mail Center hours of operation.
Textbooks are available on the bookstore website throughout the semester, however, place your order as early as possible to ensure used book availability and delivery before classes begin.
HOW TO PURCHASE TEXTBOOKS:
• Click on the following link: https://westmont.slingshotedu.com/#/landing
• Log in using your Westmont user name and password.
- This is where you select your preference. As you see, you are automatically opted-in to receive all of your required textbooks in the form of a rental. You can change that preference to any of the selections below. Please note that if you do opt-out, you still have the opportunity to purchase your books à la carte in the "Buy Books" tab.
- Shipping - shipping is free when shipped to the college. Unless you want to pay for shipping to your home, please select Prefer Campus Delivery/Pickup.
- You'll have no transaction history until an order is placed
My Course Materials
- Again, you'll have no rented or purchased course materials until an order is placed
- This is where you can see all required and optional course materials for all of your classes. Feel free to go to class first before ordering any of your optional textbooks. Sometimes the professors strongly recommend them while others are just giving additional reading opportunities. Again, if you have selected Rent, Buy New or Buy Used under your account you do nothing on this page. It is simply informational or a place to order optional books.
- If you have changed your preference to "opt-out" or à la carte, you can select the books you wish to rent or buy on this page and check out with the shopping cart in the upper right.
**Paying for your books
- If you are opted in, your books will automatically be charged to your student account. This means that any financial aid or credit in your account will fund your textbooks!
- If you are purchasing books à la carte, you will check out with a credit card. If you have financial aid to use you can call customer support on the website and they can take your order over the phone and charge your student account. Please make sure you have your student ID handy when you call.
- CHECKING OUT - Choose Rent, Purchase New, Used or Digital - Once you've selected ANY of those options, with the EXCEPTION of OPT-OUT, you are done! Your order will automatically be fulfilled around August 16 and then shipped to campus. Your student account will be charged. There is no need to check out!
You'll only check out utilizing the shopping cart if you have selected opt-out. You'll be required to pay via credit card unless you call Slingshot's customer service number and let them know you want to order through them utilizing your student account.
- INCLUSIVE ACCESS - If you see a required book that says Inclusive Access next to the title, this means the course materials are in digital format. The entire class will use the same course materials which will include quizzes, additional resources and an ebook. All you need to do is go to class and the professor will guide you through how to access the course materials through the Canvas platform. You will also receive an emailed message from our textbook manager, Leslie Smith, walking you through the process.Your student account will be charged automatically for those course materials.
Many of you have noticed that there are also options to purchase printed books. This is in addition to the digital materials. We recommend going to class first before purchasing a print version as the ebook may be sufficient for studying.
- GIFT CERTIFICATES FOR TEXTBOOK PURCHASES - unfortunately, Slingshot is unable to accept gift certificates from the College Store. You can, however, use your GC's to purchase supplies, apparel, sundries, gifts, food etc. from the College Store. You can use them in store and online. Thank you!
- Readers, lab manuals and course packs will be available to purchase in the store. (If preferred, you may use your student account to purchase these.)
- The College store may also have print copies of recommended titles available for sale.
There are many options available to you when it comes to securing your textbooks, but none are easier or more cost-effective than renting your textbook(s) from your bookstore. Check out how easy it is:
• Rental textbooks are another low cost option for your textbook needs
• Taking notes and highlighting in your textbook is allowed, unlike other online options
• Keep your books for the entire term and conveniently return them to the bookstore after your finals.
• If you wish to purchase your book(s) at the end of the semester simply come in (or email email@example.com) and pay the difference between the rental and purchase price!
• Textbook Rentals must be returned in good condition, no water damage or stains.
• Due date is the last day of finals.
LOCATIONS FOR RENTAL RETURNS
• Bookstore buyback area during posted hours
• Inside the College Store.
• After hours return at the campus post office. Each book must be in a sealed envelope with your ID# and name clearly marked on the outside of the envelope. Use the mail slot labeled Rental Returns. Unlabeled books will not be credited toward the renter's account.
• If not returned, you will be charged the difference between the rental and purchase price plus a processing fee of $5.
Benefits of selling your books to the bookstore
• Immediate cash
• Saves fuel by reducing the need for us to order textbooks and have them shipped
• Saves trees by reusing textbooks rather than printing new ones
Our determining factors for buyback pricing
• Is the book in resalable condition?
• Does the book have all its components?
• Is there a new edition pending?
• Is there a demand for the book on other campuses if not being used on this campus again?
• Does the bookstore have adequate quantities for next semester?
There are two possible values placed on books at buyback:
Retail value and Wholesale value:
• RETAIL value is when our campus is going to use the title again. Thus, we pay up to one half of the current retail value.
• WHOLESALE value is when the title is not being used again on this campus but a national textbook wholesaler offers 10-40% of the publisher's list price for possible distribution to other campuses.
We offer Ebooks as an alternative option, our ebooks will work on all platforms: https://westmont.redshelf.com/
REFUNDS AND RETURNS
Textbooks are returnable the first week of classes (the first two days during mayterm) and will be assessed a 10% restock fee.
• New books must be in pristine condition or the used price will be given.
• Bundled texts must be in the original shrink wrap to be returnable.
• In order to cover the cost of processing returns, a 10% restocking fee will be assessed.
• Special orders and readers are non-returnable.
Textbooks may be returned up to the last day to withdraw from a class. A new schedule along with the original receipt must be presented. New books must be in pristine condition or the used price will be given. Bundled texts must be in the original shrink wrap to be returnable.
2nd week of classes
Beginning the second week of classes, no returns will be given.
Exception: If you have withdrawn from the class or Westmont College. You must show proof.
TEXTBOOK DISCLAIMER INFORMATION
Textbook information is current as of today. Prices that are blank indicate that pricing information is currently unavailable for that item. Prices are subject to change without notice BEFORE purchase. Professors may make changes to adoptions or editions. The bookstore will honor returns the first week of class if your professor has made a change. The bookstore is not responsible for purchases made elsewhere using the bookstore web site information. Every effort is made to provide accurate information.
The staff at your college bookstore works diligently to see that all the required books are on the shelves for you to purchase. We guarantee that the book you buy from us is the correct edition and has not been illegally reproduced. We know that you have other sources for your textbooks and understand your need to find the lowest cost book. We post the book list on our web site in plenty of time for you to search other sources. With that in mind we ask that you not borrow our books (purchase for temporary use) when you do not intend to actually buy them. We try to be the best overall value to you by providing all the books and supplies you need, on campus, with no shipping fees. The money you spend at your college bookstore stays here to cover our costs with any excess going to the Westmont general fund. Thank you for your support of our community!
You have entered into a rental agreement with our bookstore to loan you one copy of a selected title. Rental textbooks are the intellectual property of the author(s) and are copyrighted by the author(s) or publishers. Textbooks rentals are not to be reproduced. The rental agreement is only effective for the current semester. Per terms of this agreement, you are responsible for the following:
• I understand that all titles for rent are property of the Slingshot.
• Materials are returned in the appropriate condition: clean, without excessive writing or highlighting, and without notes. You agree to be billed for the new retail price of the materials if any of the items are damaged or missing.
• Materials are returned on or before the date they are due. You agree to be billed for the new retail price of the materials if they are not returned on time.
• If you wish to keep your rental materials, the rental fee will be applied to the retail price of the items you want to own.
Thank you for supporting the Westmont Bookstore!